Skip to content

Civic building

The Curia Julia

The Roman Senate's meeting hall, standing to its full height because it spent thirteen centuries as a church — and seating about half the Senate, which is a fact about how the body actually worked.

The Roman Forum, Italy · Begun 44 BCE, dedicated 29 BCE; the standing building rebuilt c. 283–303 CE · Standing

A tall plain brick hall with a gabled roof and three high windows above a bronze door, standing among the ruins of the Roman Forum.
The Curia Julia, Rome · Diocletianic rebuilding on Caesar's planRome, Italy · photo Sonse · Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 2.0)

This page is about The Curia Julia as one building. For the excavated site it stands on, see The Roman Forum. For the city, see Rome. For the building type, The forum.

What it is

The Curia Julia — begun by Caesar, finished by Augustus, rebuilt by Diocletian, converted to Sant'Adriano in 630, and stripped back to its ancient form in the 1930s.

Built Begun 44 BCE, dedicated 29 BCE; the standing building rebuilt c. 283–303 CE. The principal date, dedicated 29 BCE, is fixed.

Evidence level: Literary

traditionally 7th century BCE

The Curia Hostilia

The predecessor hall on a different alignment, attributed by tradition to Tullus Hostilius. Burned in 52 BCE when the crowd cremated Clodius inside it.

Evidence level: Documented

44–29 BCE

Caesar's rebuilding

Caesar began a new senate house on a new alignment as part of his reordering of the Forum, and was killed before it was finished. Augustus completed and dedicated it, and named it for Caesar.

Evidence level: Documented

c. 283–303 CE

Diocletian's rebuilding

After the fire of 283. What stands today is this building, on Caesar's plan and footprint.

Evidence level: Documented

630–1935

The church of Sant'Adriano

Converted under Honorius I, remodelled repeatedly, and given a baroque interior. The conversion is the reason the walls and roof survive to full height.

Who ordered it built

Each attribution carries what supports it. Ancient buildings are routinely credited to people on the authority of writers centuries later, and that is not the same claim as an inscription on the building.

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Commissioned by

    Julius Caesar

    Cassius Dio 44.5 and 47.19 on the vote of a new senate house and its naming; the building carried his name from its dedication.

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Completed by

    Augustus

    The Res Gestae, in which Augustus lists the Curia among the works he built, and Cassius Dio 51.22 on its dedication in 29 BCE.

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Commissioned by

    Diocletian

    The rebuilding after the fire of 283 is attributed to the Diocletianic restoration of the Forum by the brickwork and by the Chronographer of 354.

What it was for

A roofed hall for meetings of the Senate. Three low steps ran down each long side to hold movable chairs, with a dais at the far end for the presiding magistrate, and the Senate voted by physically moving to one side of the room — a procedure the architecture is shaped around.

It was also a templum in the technical sense: an inaugurated space in which the auspices could be taken, which is why the Senate could only meet in certain buildings and why the room's status mattered as much as its size.

How it was built

A single-cell hall with a timber roof, thick brick-faced concrete walls, and three tall windows high in the façade above the door. The height relative to the plan is the striking feature and it is prescriptive rather than structural: the proportions come from a rule about what a senate house should be.

The Diocletianic building sits on Caesar's foundations and reproduces his plan. That continuity is itself the political statement — the Senate of the tetrarchy met in a room shaped by the man who ended the Republic.

Materials

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Brick-faced concrete

    The walls, faced externally in stucco imitating marble blocks; the lower part was originally marble-revetted

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Coloured marble and porphyry

    The opus sectile floor, largely original Diocletianic work

  • Evidence level: Documented

    Bronze

    The doors, moved to San Giovanni in Laterano in 1660; the doors now in place are copies

Measured

Every figure states what it rests on. A modern survey, an ancient text, a conversion from an ancient unit and a modern estimate are four different kinds of statement and are not interchangeable.

Evidence level: Documented

Internal dimensions

about 25.2 × 17.6 m

Modern survey of the standing building.

Evidence level: Documented

Internal height

about 21 m

Modern survey. Vitruvius 5.2 prescribes that a rectangular curia's height be half the sum of its length and width; half of 25.2 plus 17.6 is 21.4, so the building follows the rule almost exactly. Whether it follows Vitruvius or they both follow a shared convention cannot be determined.

Evidence level: Probable

Seating

roughly 300 places on the stepped benches

A modern estimate from the length of the three steps on each side and an assumed chair spacing. The Senate had six hundred members from Sulla onward and considerably more under Caesar, so the hall was never built to hold the whole body.

What it meant

That the hall seated about half the Senate is the most useful thing the building tells us. Attendance was normally partial, quorums were an issue serious enough for legislation, and the picture of six hundred senators debating together is a modern one. The room was built for the body that actually turned up.

Caesar's decision to demolish the old Curia Hostilia and build a new one on a new alignment, named for himself, is of a piece with the rest of his reordering of the Forum. Augustus finishing it and putting Caesar's name on it is the same move the Pantheon inscription makes a century and a half later.

The Altar of Victory stood in the hall from 29 BCE. Its removal by Gratian in 382 and the resulting exchange between Symmachus and Ambrose is one of the best-documented arguments of late antiquity about what a state owes its traditional cults, and it happened over a piece of furniture in this room.

After antiquity

Converted into the church of Sant'Adriano al Foro in 630 and used as a church until the twentieth century, acquiring a raised floor, a baroque interior and a campanile.

The bronze doors were taken by Borromini in 1660 for San Giovanni in Laterano, where they remain and where they were enlarged to fit.

Between 1930 and 1937 Alfonso Bartoli stripped the church away and restored the building to what was taken to be its Diocletianic state, rebuilding the roof and the façade. The result is a genuine ancient building with a substantial modern component and a deliberate erasure of thirteen centuries of use.

Condition today

Evidence level: Documented

Standing

Standing to full height with its original floor, as a consequence of Christian reuse and then of a restoration that removed the evidence of that reuse.

Bartoli's 1930s campaign is the most consequential intervention. It recovered the ancient volume and the opus sectile floor, and it destroyed the medieval and baroque fabric that had preserved them. What a visitor sees is a Fascist-era decision about which past the building should display.

Excavation established the position of the earlier Curia Hostilia on a different alignment beneath and beside the standing building, and confirmed that Caesar's rebuilding shifted the senate house to align with his new forum rather than with the old comitium.

The Diocletianic date of the standing fabric rests on brickwork and on the record of the fire of 283, not on any building inscription.

Scattered fragments

What has left the building, and where it is now. Where a holding is contested, the museum page says so.

  • Evidence level: Documented

    The Plutei of Trajan — two marble relief screens showing the burning of tax records and an alimentary scheme, found nearby and now displayed inside the hall

    In the Curia Julia

    Their original position is not established and they were not made for this building.

  • Evidence level: Documented

    The bronze doors, enlarged and reused

    San Giovanni in Laterano, Rome

Written about in antiquity

  • Cassius Dio, Roman History 44.5, 47.19, 51.22

    Cassius Dio on the vote of a Curia Julia, on its naming, and on its dedication by Augustus in 29 BCE together with the placing of the Altar of Victory.

  • Augustus, Res Gestae Divi Augusti 19

    Augustus lists the Curia among the buildings he made. A first-person account, and an inventory of self-presentation.

  • Vitruvius, On Architecture 5.2

    Vitruvius on how a senate house should be proportioned: the height half the sum of the length and the width. The standing building conforms.

Still argued

Evidence level: Disputed

How much of the standing building is Diocletianic?

The walls and floor are accepted as of the rebuilding after 283. The roof, the façade above the door and much of the external surface are Bartoli's, executed on the evidence of what survived and of the building's depiction on coins. The line between the two is not marked on the building, and published plans differ on it.

How to read the evidence labels

Evidence level: Documented
Supported by a named primary text or by excavated material evidence.
Evidence level: Probable
Supported by strong inference that most specialists accept.
Evidence level: Disputed
Substantial specialist disagreement exists; competing readings are stated.
Evidence level: Literary
Belongs to poetic or mythological construction rather than to history.
Evidence level: Mythological
Belongs to shared religious or mythic tradition rather than to any single text.
Evidence level: Unknown
The available evidence is insufficient to decide.

These labels describe the status of the evidence, not our confidence in a conclusion. A claim marked Literary is not a claim we doubt; it is a claim about what kind of thing a poem is.